Sunday, February 26, 2017

Timeline (2003)



A few weeks ago, I decided to try something new for the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  I wrote a script for a short scene where two people sat in a diner and talked about Bigfoot vs. Zombies.  It was my way to bring a refreshing new post style, and a way to work on my screenwriting skills.  This week, I’m going to take another swing at that sort of post.  I will once again be writing a script and through that script, I will write about the movie.

This week’s movie is Timeline.  Something about it inspired me to write a script again.  The main difference is that this time, I’m actually going to look over the script and fix it up somewhat.  It also won’t be two people talking at a table.  That’s a little boring.  Let’s get something more than a conversation going on.  So, without further ado, here is my script inspired by Timeline.  I’ll be back at the end to give a few comments before ending the post.


INT. CAVE - NIGHT

JESSE is kneeling on the ground with a brush in his hand. He sweeps the dust off of a pair of glasses and lifts them up. With a quick sniffle of his nose, he turns around and signals to his digging partner.

JESSE
Joe! Over here! I found something!

JOE places his brush on the ground next to a half unearthed lantern.

JOE
What is it?

JESSE
It looks like a pair of glasses.

JOE
Good find.

Joe turns and begins walking back to the lantern.

JESSE
But Joe. That's not all. They're
bifocals.

Joe stops and stands motionless.

JOE
Bifocals? That can't be. Nobody has
been in this part of the cave for
years.

JESSE
I know.

Joe returns to Jesse's side and takes the glasses in his hands. He looks them up and down before turning his head to Jesse.

JOE
You're right. They're bifocals. How
can they possibly be down here?

JESSE
I think we've stumbled on some sort
of Timeline type of situation.

JOE
Timeline?

JESSE
Yeah. Like the movie.

JOE
What movie?

JESSE
Timeline. It came out in 2003. Paul
Walker, Gerard Butler, Michael
Sheen, Frances O'Connor. They went
back in time to the middle ages.

JOE
What does that have to do with
this?

JESSE
Near the beginning of the movie,
they found a pair of glasses, much
like this pair. They found it in
the ruins of a monestary that
nobody had been in for centuries.
How did they get there? Someone
went back in time, that's how! We
have discovered time travel!

JOE
And my lantern over there proves
that the time travel in Teenage
Mutant Ninja Turtles three was
real. Sure.

JESSE
This isn't a time for jokes. We
need to figure out how the glasses
got here.

Joe throws his hands up in the air and storms off to where he left the lantern.

JESSE
If these bifocals were left for us,
that means that they were left for
us for a reason. Someone is stuck
in the past and we need a team of
historians and archaeologists to go
find them.

JOE
What are you blathering on about?

JESSE
The movie. Timeline. A team was
sent back in time to retrieve
someone who had been lost in the
past.

JOE
And you think we're going to go
back in time?

JESSE
That's the only way to save whoever
is stuck back in time. We could be
saving ourselves here. Or we could
die. That is a definite
possibility. It happened to the
French guy when the English king
guy thought he was a spy.

JOE
Time travel is impossible.

JESSE
Not according to these glasses. The
lenses are too new for time travel
to not exist. Next we're going to
find a sarcophogas of a man with
one ear, and we'll discover that
one of us will be that man. Please
don't let it be me. I like my ears.

Joe sighs and continues to brush his lantern. The handle begins to form shape as the dirt is swept away.

JESSE
I wonder what the middle ages were
like. Was it a glorified, beautiful
place like Middle Earth or was it
grungy and ugly like an In the Name
of the King sequel? Was it like
Timeline, somewhere in between?

JOE
Our studies show that...

JESSE
Forget our studies! We're going to
go back in time and find out!

Joe turns to Jesse. He puts his brush on the ground in front of him and stands up.

JOE
For the last time, time travel does
not exist. You can't just go back
in time.

Joe bends over and lifts his lantern from the ground.

JOE
If time travel existed, we would
already know about it because
someone would have already gone
back in time and shown the world
that it...

The lantern begins to hum and glow. Joe turns his head and stares at it in horror as the entire cave lights up with a bright white light.

JOE
What the--

JESSE
The lantern is glowing!

JOE
I can see that!

With a loud popping sound, the light of the lantern vanishes and it falls to the ground, shattering on impact. Joe is gone.

JESSE
Joe?

Jesse looks around the dimly lit cave. The light hanging from one of the stalactites is the only source of light.

JESSE
Joe? This isn't funny, Joe. You
broke an artifact.

The sound of Jesse's voice echoes through the caverns but there is no response.

JESSE
He's gone.

Jesse kneels down and picks up the pieces of the lantern. He turns them over in his hands. As he turns one of the pieces over, he reveals a message. The message reads "Help me, Jesse! I'm stuck in middle age France!"

JESSE
I knew it! Time travel is possible!
But that still doesn't explain
whose glasses those are. They're
not Joe's.

Jesse lets the pieces of the lantern fall to the cave floor. He takes another look at the glasses.

JESSE
These glasses are my only way of
figuring out how to save Joe from
the past.

Jesse blows the leftover dust off of the lenses and puts the glasses on his face.

JESSE
Ow. My eyes hurt looking through
these. This is definitely not my
prescription.

The vision through the lenses slowly changes from the inside of the cave to the inside of a tunnel.

JESSE
It worked! I went back in time!



EXT. CASTLE COURTYARD - DAY

Jesse walks into the open area. Soldiers are training with their swords as ladies watch from balconies. He looks around and sees Joe among the fighting soldiers.

JESSE
Joe!

Joe turns and looks at his friend. He has a fresh scar down one cheek, and the beginnings of a beard growing from his face.

JOE
Jesse! How did you get here?

JESSE
The Timeline way!

JOE
What Timeline way? You discovered
time travel?

JESSE
No. The same way that you got here.

JOE
That was more the Teenage Mutant
Ninja Turtles Three way.

JESSE
Not with the lantern. With the
glasses.

JOE
The glasses got you here?

JESSE
Yeah.

A large man approaches Joe from behind and taps on his shoulder. Joe spins around. The man punches him in the face and turns away.

LARGE MAN
That's what you get for stepping
out of battle practice.

JESSE
Battle practice?

Joe turns back to Jesse, a small stream of blood flowing from his nose.

JOE
The only way to survive around here
is to risk your life. You're going
to find that out quickly.

JESSE
I'm going to find a way back to our
own time, actually.

JOE
Good luck with that. I've been here
for two weeks and can't find a way
to get back to 2017.

JESSE
There has to be some way. The
glasses got me here. They'll get me
back.

JOE
Where are the glasses? They
disappeared when you time traveled,
didn't they? That's what happened
with the lantern.

JESSE
The lantern broke when you
disappeared. I don't know about the
glasses, but they have to be here
somewhere because they were in that
cave. They need to be left in that
cave.

JOE
What?

JESSE
It's like in Timeline. The reason
that the glasses were there, the
reason there was a help note, the
reason that the wall was broken...
Someone did that in the past so
that they could find it in the
future. Someone has to leave the
glasses in that cave, in the
hallway I showed up in. The glasses
and the lantern have to be here
somewhere!

People begin running frantically around the courtyard area. Joe looks from one to another. Suddenly his face grows grim.

JESSE
What is it?

MAN ON CASTLE WALL
The barbarians are coming! Everyone
to your fighting positions!

JOE
Go! Quickly! Find something to get
us back to our time!

Jesse runs off, dodging soldiers who are preparing for battle.



INT. CASTLE DINING HALL

Jesse bursts through the door. He runs around the side of the long dining table, searching among the plates, bowls, and other dining materials. The door on the opposite side of the room opens and a maid walks in.

MAID
What are you doing in here?

JESSE
Um...

MAID
You should be out with the
soldiers.

JESSE
I was sent to warn everyone about
the battle. Find all of the women
and children and get them into the
pantry!

The maid stares at him with disbelief in her eyes.

JESSE
Now! Go! The safety of the castle
depends on it!

The maid nods and hurries out of the dining hall. Jesse follows behind her and runs down the first hall he sees.



INT. CASTLE BED CHAMBER

Jesse walks in the open door and speeds to the wardrobe. He pulls the clothes out and throws them on the floor. One of the pairs of pants makes a metallic thud as it hits the floor.

JESSE
I think that's it!

He lifts the pants and digs his hand into them. He pulls out a pair of bifocals. A voice sounds behind him.

MAN 2
Put down my glasses.

Jesse turns and looks at an old, bearded man. The sound of swords hitting one another comes through the bedroom window.

JESSE
These are bifocals.

OLD MAN
I know.

JESSE
That's impossible. They haven't
been invented yet.

OLD MAN
You're very perceptive.

JESSE
And you know that.

OLD MAN
Yes, I do.

JESSE
That means...

OLD MAN
It means...

JESSE
You must be from the future!

OLD MAN
Bingo.

Jesse looks back and forth between the glasses and the man.

JESSE
I need your glasses.

OLD MAN
No.

JESSE
That wasn't a question.

OLD MAN
I know. But you can't have my
glasses. They're... Special.

JESSE
That's why I need them.

OLD MAN
You don't understand.

JESSE
I understand perfectly. They are a
time travel device.

OLD MAN
You know?

JESSE
Of course I know. Do you think I'm
from this time? I knew they were
bifocals. Why would I know that?

OLD MAN
Well...

JESSE
And my clothes. Do these look like
the clothes of this time?

OLD MAN
No, but...

JESSE
Exactly. You can stay here and
Gerard Butler it up for all I care.
You might like it here instead of
your real time, but I want to go
home. Your glasses are the only way
for me to go home.

OLD MAN
I hear what you're saying. You need
these glasses to be returned to the
future where you came from.

JESSE
That's what I said but in different
words.

OLD MAN
I'll give you my glasses if you
promise me something.

JESSE
What?

OLD MAN
Tell the world that Frank Peterson
invented time travel. I'm not there
to tell them myself.

JESSE
Fine!

Jesse grabs the glasses and runs toward the door. He stops at a table and grabs a small piece of paper. He scratches a note on it. "Help me, Jesse! I'm stuck in middle age France!" He throws the note in his pocket and runs out of the room.



EXT. CASTLE COURTYARD - DAY

Swords clash against one another and blood splatters across the ground as Jesse runs out of the castle. He ducks under a sword that nearly cuts his ear off as he looks through the crowds of fighting soldiers for his friend. A fire breaks out as a torch falls into a barrel of oil.

JESSE
Joe!

JOE
Jesse!

Joe jumps down from the roof of a shed, sword slashing at an attacker who is ready to kill Jesse. He slashes a few times then kicks the opponent into a pile of wooden boxes.

JOE
Did you get the glasses?

JESSE
Yes!

JOE
Then let's get to the tunnel!

The two friends run off into one of the castle hallways that borders the courtyard.



INT. CASTLE HALLWAY

Jesse and Joe hurry into the dark room. The only light comes from a couple of lanterns hanging on the wall.

JESSE
Okay. It's time to put on the
glasses.

JOE
What? There's only one pair of
glasses and there are two of us.

JESSE
Yeah, but if they work like before,
they'll be left behind and you can
use them right after me.

JOE
Why do I have to wait for you to go
first?

JESSE
You have the sword.

JOE
I've been risking my life here for
two weeks. You've been here for two
minutes.

JESSE
It's been more than two minutes.

JOE
You get my point though.

JESSE
You're still better prepared to
fight off any bandits that try to
kill us.

JOE
Barbarians.

JESSE
Whatever. Grab that lantern over
there.

Joe reaches for the lantern on the wall. As he puts his hand around its handle, it begins to glow brighter and brighter until Joe vanishes. Jesse dives to the ground to catch the lantern before it breaks. He places it on the ground.

JESSE
There's the lantern.

The echo of footsteps pound into the hallway. Jesse looks at the lantern and looks at the glasses. He reaches for the lantern before stopping himself.

JESSE
Shit. If I use the lantern, I might
end up taking the glasses with me.

He takes the note out of his pocket and shoves it into the lantern as well as he can. He pulls the bifocals onto his face and closes his eyes. The sound of footsteps grows louder until he can hear the feet within inches of him. An arm grabs him.

JOE
Come on! The cave is coming down!

Jesse opens his eyes and sees pieces of rock falling to the floor of the cave around him. They run through the caverns toward the entrance of the cave.



EXT. ENTRANCE OF CAVE - DAY

The two comrades dive through the entrance of the cave as rocks tumble down, blocking the hole in the stone wall. They stand up and shake themselves off.

JOE
That was close.

JESSE
That didn't happen in Timeline.

JOE
Will you shut up about Timeline
already? We just went back in time!

JESSE
Like in Timeline! We ended up in a
castle, there was a time traveler
who stayed behind like Gerard
Butler did, and we got back to the
present as we were about to be
killed in the battle. It's the
same!

JOE
Okay. There were similarities.

JESSE
Yes! There were!

A loud crack erupts through the air. Jesse and Joe's heads whip around to see a giant vehicle pushing its way through a forest surrounding the cave. A large speaker sits above a reflective windshield.

VOICE ON SPEAKER
Halt. Intruders.

JOE
Uh-oh. We're in the wrong place.

A door opens up on the machine and a man clad in futuristic clothes steps out.

JESSE
Or the wrong time. Line.


THE END


That’s the script I came up with.  I’m much more satisfied with that than my previous attempt at writing a script post.  I put more effort into it and told a more complex story.  In that way, this exercise was a success.  It showed improvement over what I had written before.  It showed that I can do better.  That doesn’t mean there weren’t flaws.

The main issue with the script is that it didn’t cover the movie enough.  It covered certain plot points, but didn’t have discussion about the quality of the movie.  All that you guys get from the story that I told was that Timeline was a movie and I wrote a script about a couple of characters living the movie.  That’s it.  Thus, I need to take some time to write about the quality of the movie.  Other than that, I’m happy with the script.  It’s not perfect, but it’s a good step forward.

So, onto how I feel about Timeline.  I had never heard great things about it.  In fact, it was suggested to me for this blog.  That was one of two things in my mind going into the movie.  The other was that I had read the book a couple years back and enjoyed it.  So my expectations were right in the middle.  I liked the source and had heard the movie was underwhelming.  What I got was exactly where my expectations were.  The movie wasn’t great but it wasn’t terrible.  It was in that middle ground.

Fitting of the Sunday “Bad” Movies, it did have some bad aspects.  The one that I would feel bad leaving out is that the foreshadowing was some of the most bizarrely hilarious that I’ve seen.  The setup at the beginning that there was a sarcophagus carved to show that the man inside had lost an ear was brought back in a laughably bad way.  A character had his ear cut off during the climax and began yelling “It’s me! It’s me!”  Though the majority of the movie was a decent time travel tale mixed with an entertaining medieval war tale, this foreshadowing was some of the worst that I’ve seen.

That does it.  Timeline is now in the past like Gerard Butler’s character.  It was an okay movie that I was entertained by.  I wouldn’t necessarily watch it again, but I don’t regret the time I spent watching the movie.  There are worse ways to spend two hours than seeing Paul Walker and Gerard Butler fight it out in the Middle Ages.
There are worse ways to spend a few minutes than looking through these notes:

  • Timeline was suggested by @Mimekiller, who also suggested Gymkata and Gnome Alone.
  • This post mentioned Bigfoot vs. Zombies, In the Name of the King, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III.
  • Timeline featured two people from the movie Death Race.  They were Danny Blanco Hall and Christian Paul.
  • Gerard Butler was in one of the early movies covered.  He was in Playing for Keeps.
  • Neal McDonough isn’t a first timer to the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  He was previously seen in The Marine 3: Homefront.
  • One of the actors in Timeline was Rana Morrison, who was also in Torque.
  • As a child, Paul Walker was in a movie called Monster in the Closet.  As an adult, he was in Timeline.
  • Skin Trade had an actor named Patrick Sabongui, who was also in Timeline.
  • Rossif Sutherland had a role in Timeline.  He also had a role in Dead Before Dawn 3-D.
  • Finally, Timeline saw the return of Lambert Wilson, who was in Catwoman.
  • Have you seen Timeline?  What did you think?  You can share your comments about this post or the movie below.
  • What movies should I watch for the Sunday “Bad” Movies?  Let your voice be heard by leaving suggestions in the comments or on my Twitter timeline.
  • Sometimes when I’m watching bad movies, I will share clips of them.  If that sounds interesting to you, you can add me on Snapchat.  Jurassicgriffin
  • Next week, I’ll be going into the future while thinking about the past.  There will be dinosaurs in a futuristic America, as seen through the eyes of the mid-1990s.  That’s right.  I’m going to be discussing the movie Theodore Rex.  Come back in seven days and see what I have to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment